Historic Fountain Hill Cemetery sits on 13 acres of a wooded hillside that offers sweeping views of Fountain Hill and South Mountain.
Founded in 1871, the Cemetery was conceived by the Reverend C. J. Cooper, pastor of Saint Peter’s Lutheran Church, who directed the attention of his congregation to the necessity of setting aside a proper burial ground for their dead. Under his direction, members of several local churches banded together and secured a charter for the incorporation of the Fountain Hill Cemetery Company. Their aim: to create a non-profit cemetery that served the needs of families of all denominations. The Company subsequently purchased from Tinsley Jeter, Esquire, nearly seven acres of land half a mile west of the South Bethlehem borough line.
Patterned after European burial grounds, the newly established Fountain Hill Cemetery featured walkways and drives that wound throughout the lush, wooded site. The bucolic setting proved a welcome refuge from the bustling, industrial environment that had become Bethlehem, and soon families were stopping at Fountain Hill Cemetery not just to visit the graves of their dead but to stroll, relax, and picnic on the peaceful grounds.
More than a century after its founding, Fountain Hill Cemetery continues to serve the families of the Lehigh Valley. To schedule a visit and/or purchase plots, call Ed Vogrins: 610-868-4840.